It can be hard to know which working dog food to choose during the shooting season, so our Nutritional Consultant, Dr Jacqueline Boyd, has highlighted the key benefits and top tips for the following three diets, as well as which breeds they are suitable for.
Field & Trial Working 23 is a complete dog food, specially developed and formulated to support dogs with a moderate to high activity level. With a protein level of 23% and a fat level of 10%, Working 23 supports the day-to-day energetic requirements for working and active dogs of all breeds and is a favorite with many working dog handlers. With a balance of digestible carbohydrates, Working 23 provides a diet to support those animals needing a nutritious fuel to support moderate to high activity levels such as working gundogs, agility dogs or active pets.
Top Tip for feeding Working 23
- Ideally, split your dog’s daily ration of Working 23 into a minimum of two meals. This improves the overall digestibility of the food, meaning your dog may gain more nutritional benefit from their meals. This can also have an impact on the frequency and quality of your dog’s stools; improved digestibility typically means less frequent defecation and improved stool quality!
Why should you choose Working 23?
- Contains beef meat meal making it a palatable choice
- Contains essential fats and oils (10%) to support a moderate energy output as well as supporting coat and skin condition
- A beef-based kibble formulation that when moistened with warm water soaks to a palatable “gravy” if this is preferred
- Mixed cereals provide digestible carbohydrates and a range of other nutrients to support day-to-day activity
- Working 23 is a complete food that provides all the nutrients your active dog needs to be fit, happy and healthy
Which dogs is Working 23 suitable for?
- Ideal for dogs with a consistent activity level of moderate to high intensity e.g. working gundogs, herding dogs, agility dogs, active pet dogs
- Any dog who might benefit from a ration of moderate density to support activity and working output
- Active dogs with no sensitivities to wheat or maize gluten
Field & Trial Crunchy is a complete dog food, specially developed and formulated to support dogs who are regularly working at a moderate to high activity intensity. The formulation includes a protein level (26%) to support muscle integrity and development, combined with a fat level (12%) to ensure sustained performance ability. These factors along with a good level of digestible starch (34%), provides a diet to support animals needing fuelled for high activity levels of moderate duration, such as working gundogs (for example picking up dogs on driven shoots) or agility and flyball dogs.
Top Tip for feeding Crunchy
- Crunchy offer a slightly larger, “cubed” kibble than other formulations, which makes Crunchy a good choice to slow down greedy eaters (they typically have to “crunch” it!).
Why should you choose Crunchy?
- Slightly larger, “cubed” kibble than other formulations, making Crunchy a good choice to slow down greedy eaters (they typically have to “crunch” it!)
- Contains highly digestible chicken meat meal (32.5% dry weight)
- Digestible carbohydrate sources to provide energy for instant use during periods of intense activity
- Contains high levels of essential fats to support energy output as well as coat and skin condition
- Crunchy is a complete food that provides all the nutrients your active dog needs to be fit, happy and healthy
Which dogs is Crunchy suitable for?
- Dogs that would benefit from an energy dense ration, of slightly larger kibble shape and size than standard formulations
- Active, working dogs who require a moderate level of protein and fat to support shorter, intense periods of activity of moderate to high intensity than other working dog food formulations
- e.g. Peg dogs, picking up dogs, trial herding dogs, sight-hounds, agility dogs, flyball dogs
- Any dog who might benefit from a mixed source of energy-supplying nutrients to support moderate to high activity levels of short to medium duration
- Dogs who might be prone to losing condition during periods of growth or high activity output
Field & Trial Muesli Mix is a complete dog food based on a traditional mix of ingredients, specially developed and formulated to support dogs with a moderate to high activity level. The mix of whole-wheat biscuits, cooked cereals and vegetables (maize, wheat flakes and peas) combined with beef-based protein pellets and all the essential oils, vitamins and minerals that your dog needs, creates an interesting and palatable meal! In addition, Muesli Mix is coated with glucose syrup which can help tempt the fussiest of feeder, as well as supply a useful source of immediate energy for dogs in moderate to hard work!
Top tip for using Muesli Mix
- For working gundogs (and indeed any dog with a high activity level) that might be prone to fatigue towards the end of the day, provide a lunchtime “snack” of Skinner’s Muesli Mix. You can even add some warm water to the mix to help the hydration status of your dog and make the meal even more tempting! This helps provide your dog with a nutritious fuel that he needs to remain active and can help maintain performance.
Why should you choose Muesli Mix?
- An appetising mix of ingredients that can tempt even the fussiest of feeder
- Coated in wheat glucose syrup which can help sustain activity levels in active dogs
- A “traditional” style dog food that remains popular with both dogs and their people!
- Muesli Mix is a complete food that provides all the nutrients your dog needs to be fit, happy and healthy
Which dogs is Muesli Mix suitable for?
- Dogs that prefer a mixed ration or who are fussy feeders and tend to get bored of a single kibble shape and size
- Active, working dogs who require a moderate level of protein and fat to support energetic output e.g. herding dogs, working gundogs, sporting dogs
- Any dog who might benefit from a mixed source of energy supplying nutrients
- Dogs who might be prone to losing condition during periods of high activity
Field & Trial Superior is a complete dog food, specially developed and formulated to support highly active dogs who are regularly working at a high intensity. Skinner’s Superior has been carefully developed to support the energetic requirements of a range of highly active dogs through providing a calorie distribution weighted towards fat as a “fuel” source. The metabolism of dogs preferentially utilises fat as an energy source and fat provides a concentrated source of energy in the diet, meaning that nourishment can be provided in energy-dense meals. Skinner’s Superior has a fat level of 20%, making this diet both energy dense and highly palatable. This formulation has also been carefully balanced with a protein level of 30% to support the day-to-day maintenance of the body, but also to provide a highly digestible source of protein for the repair and regeneration of tissues in hard working and highly active dogs.
Top tip for using Field & Trial Superior
- Superior is highly energy dense, meaning a small amount can pack a powerful nutritional punch! This means that Superior can either be used as a great base daily diet for hard working and highly active dogs, or can be a useful addition (perhaps as a midday snack) for dogs doing a little bit more than usual to help sustain performance and support recovery afterwards.
Why should you choose Superior?
- Includes highly digestible poultry meat meal (40% dry weight)
- Wheat gluten free
- Contains essential fats chicken fat to support energy output as well as coat and skin condition
- Superior has a calorie distribution weighted towards fat which supports the metabolism of highly active dogs
- Superior is a complete food that provides all the nutrients your highly active dog needs to be fit, happy and healthy
Which dogs is Superior suitable for?
- Highly active, working dogs who require a high level of protein and fat to support activity output e.g. hard working gundogs, highly active herding dogs
- Hard working dogs with a sensitivity or intolerance to wheat gluten
- Bitches in whelp (typically after week 5 of pregnancy) and lactating bitches
- Dogs recovering from illness that require provision of quality, energy dense nutrition